Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Sun Ra - John Cage Meets Sun Ra (1986)



MANY Thanks to Vinylust for sharing his vinyl rip in FLAC with us!

Meltdown MPA-1, John Cage Meets Sun Ra, was an LP released in 1987.  According to Warren Smith of Variety Recording Studios, who did the pressing, some copies were delivered to Sun Ra without labels and may have circulated with Saturn labels.  A 10th-anniversary limited-edition CD was scheduled for release in January 1997, but it never materialized.

On the released portions of the performance, Ra and Cage perform alternately, except during a stretch of Side B.  According to Bill Andrejko, other portions of the concert, which included Pharaoh Abdullah (procession, dance) were recorded but not released; Rick Russo confirms that some material from the concert, including contributions by Marshall Allen and June Tyson, was not included on the LP.  Sideshows by the Sea was the last surviving freak show along the Coney Island boardwalk.  Ra and Cage's appearance was duly announced by the barker outside; a pizza party followed the performance.  Information from the liner notes, Bill Andrejko, Dan Sullivan, and Rick Russo.  According to Richard Ehrman, there is a 90-minute audience tape of the complete concert.
From The Earthly Recordings of Sun Ra 2nd ed.

496. [344] Sun Ra and John Cage

Sun Ra (Yamaha DX-7 syn); John Cage (voc);
Sideshows by the Sea, Coney Island,
Brooklyn, NY, June 8, 1986


John Cage Meets Sun Ra
Side A - 21:14
Side B - 21:26

FLAC

or

320

2nd Chance post (with new links)

Those interested in John Cage can go here to watch the 1966 movie SOUND - a 24 minute (not 4'33")avant garde minimalist jazz music performance noise experimental film featuring Cage and 'Sun Ra's 'parallel galaxy celestial brother,' Roland Kirk.


14 comments:

  1. Brilliant, thanks! I've been kicking myself for years, ever since seeing an entire bin of these at the old Soho Music Gallery on Wooster St (NYC). Meant to pick one up and they were all gone when I returned. Soon thereafter, Soho Music Gallery was gone.

    Have to say it's a wee bit creepy that this is on Meltdown Records.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks for this gem !
    guido/LF

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Thanks Herr B!

    I thought a Coney Island freak show starring Cage & Ra would be a good way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the great back cover scan! makes for some good reading...

    and, happy birthday, yotte!

    I-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Talk about acoupla 20th century avant garde icons. A perfect match up at the perfect venue. Sounds like it was fun. The Arkestra was selling them in ’87, but they were on Meltdown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes!!!! Pardon me, I mean YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday Mr. Y!!!! And thanks a lot for this upload!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks folks! I was very excited when Vinylust offered this (and some other surprises to come). I'm glad everyone is enjoying this post as much as I.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great post..a parallel galaxy side note..daily motion has a video of john cage and sun ra's celestial brother roland kirk together..used to be on youtube but i couldn't find it

    ReplyDelete
  10. Parallel galaxy amazing awesomeness! Thanks anon! I'll share that at another blog tomorrow and leave a link at this post. What a fantastic short film. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ...are you interested? :

    http://saturnneversleeps.com/2011/03/17/april-9th-sns-at-eyebeam-nyc-w-sun-ra-arkestra-more/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd LOVE to see that Saturn Never Sleeps show... if only NYC were about 700 miles closer to me!

    ReplyDelete