Friday, March 8, 2013

ESP Sun Ra Radio Tribute - 14 hrs in 6 Parts


After receiving a few requests from interested readers to re-up portions of this series, I decided that featuring the entire collection of webcasts in one post would help to bring some attention to this marvelous historical narrative.  Several years ago, Arkestra member and official Sun Ra archivist, Michael D. Anderson, "The Good Doctor," enhanced the ESP-Disc website with a 14-hour Sun Ra retrospective.  In this unprecedented audio documentary, The Good Doctor presents a timeline of Sun Ra's career featuring both classic releases and unheard nuggets from the Archive.  The tribute is divided into 6 parts, each approximately 2 hours for a total of 14 hours of amazing information and music.  Throughout the broadcasts, Michael D. Anderson relates biographical information about Ra and shares many anecdotes of his time with the Arkestra; I find these are particularly interesting and entertaining.

A few of my favorite moments from these broadcasts have already been featured here.  You might remember Rusty Morgan's "Blame Shame" or the Arkestra's remarkable performances of I Roam the Cosmos (if you missed these, rectify!).  There are plenty more incredible rarities peppered throughout these broadcasts.  If you are interested in reviewing the playlist for each segment, please click the 'part #' below each stream to be whisked away to the original post where you will find newly refreshed download options.  Each post features the original master tape offered in both FLAC and 320k mp3 as well as an mp3 audio stream of the show.

If listening to the entire transmission in one sitting doesn't suit your schedule, please consider bookmarking this page so that you can easily return for future listens.  Or if you happen to have 14 hours to spare... click & enjoy!

MANY THANKS to our friend, I-), for sending me these wonderful recordings.


ESP Sun Ra Radio Tribute - 14 hrs in 6 Parts




14 comments:

  1. Yotte :

    Many, many thanks!

    Best

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am happy to share these and very glad that everyone gets to enjoy these. they are truly musical gems! and a special 'space omnichord thanks!' to yotte for providing a place where these can be enjoyed.

    I-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, now I know what I will be doing this weekend! So glad to see this. Thank you!--Bill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went through this whole set in two nights (broken leg) and wholeheartedly recommend the drill to all - fool, wise or otherwise. Talk about mind boggling.
    I have to mention "Hot Skillet Mama" from part one - first heard this on dutch "hot jump blues" bootleg early 80's where it was credited to Bunker Hill!
    Have to stop before I break my ribs too..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yet another monumental post, hours of interest, I think I will have to break my leg so I can do the same as Anon. !!!
    As always many thanks to Yotte and [-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another excellent post. Re the Havana post click on the cover and the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yotte please can you reput these bootlegs?
    .Live in Dramaten Stockholm 1971
    .Pisa 1979
    .Clusone 1990
    .Villa Rosa Restaurant Silver Spring 1977

    Please, Thanks very much!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MADDNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AMAIZING!!!!!!!! thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you immensely for keeping these links active. Like Anon above, I just had spinal fusion surgery and will be laid up for awhile. What a wonderful way to start my recuperation!

    ReplyDelete
  11. double what Big Bad says about keeping this links active...can't wait to 'break a leg' myself! ;-)

    thanks again, and again, and... :-D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for this, stuck at home at the moment, so this and Sun Ra generally will keep me occupied for a while.

    The FF links for 320 MP3 are still active if anyone else is interested, you just need to wait an hour between each download.

    ReplyDelete